Peace River North MLA Dan Davies joins Mike de Jong’s Team
BURNABY – Team de Jong now has its sixth sitting member of the B.C. Legislature with today’s endorsement of Mike de Jong for leader of the BC Liberal Party by Peace River North MLA Dan Davies.
“Mike de Jong is the best leadership candidate to walk in on day one and lead our party, hold the NDP accountable, and keep B.C.’s finance’s on track. He is the candidate with the strongest vision of harnessing the benefits that come from a strong economy to invest in British Columbians,” Davies said. “Mike has shown throughout his career he is a leader who delivers; he showed that this week as he led the fight to keep the Site C project moving forward.”
First elected in 2017, Davies is a life long resident of Fort St. John, where he was a city councillor for 12 years. He was also a fulltime teacher for 12 years.
“As a teacher, I know how education can change a child’s life. And I know how it can change a community and a province,” Davies said. “Mike’s always been a passionate advocate for education. His ideas mapped out in the leadership campaign will help the next generation build their careers and our province.”
Michael de Jong now has many MLAs, former MLAs, MPs, and community leaders supporting him from around the province (see list below).
The BC Liberal party will hold a leadership convention to announce the new leader on Saturday, Feb. 3, 2018.
Campaign co-chairs and MLAs
- Mike Bernier (Peace River South) Co-Chair
- Teresa Wat (Richmond North Centre) Co-Chair
- Stephanie Cadieux (Surrey South)
- Dan Davies (Peace River North)
- Simon Gibson (Abbotsford-Mission)
- John Martin (Chilliwack)
- Pat Bell (Prince George-Mackenzie)
- Ron Cantelon (Nanaimo-Parksville)
- Al Horning (Kelowna-Lake Country) and former MP (Okanagan Centre)
- Rob Nijjar (Vancouver-Kingsway)
- Patty Sahota (Burnaby-Edmonds)
- Jack Weisgerber (Peace River South – and former Socred Cabinet Minister and Reform BC Leader)
Member of Parliament
- Ed Fast (Abbotsford)
- Fort Nelson Mayor Bill Streeper